Today in Sanford history, Dr. John Mettinger Morgan, a popular OB/GYN who delivered more than 4,000 babies during his 35 year career, died. He was 83 years old. It was March 28, 2005.
Born Sept. 28, 1921, Dr. Morgan was a third generation Sanford resident. His grandfather was John K. Mettinger, a merchant who had store at 106-108 W 1st St. Today that location is the small public parking lot at the northwest corner of 1st Street and Park Avenue, across from Christo’s
Dr. Morgan graduated from Seminole High School, the University of Florida and Emory School of Medicine in Atlanta.
After graduating from Emory, Dr. Morgan returned to Sanford and opened his office in downtown. According to the December 1956 issue of Shield & Diamond, the national magazine for the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, Dr. Morgan listed his address as 318 E. 1st St. That would have been the McLander Arcade Building. That building was torn down in 1980. Today it’s the public parking lot is at Sanford Avenue and 1st Street.
Dr. Morgan was active in the community, and served as the team doctor for the Seminole High School football team from 1951 to 1976. He was the only OB/GYN to hold that title in school history.
Dr. Morgan was also an avid tennis player, and was inducted into the Seminole High School and Emory University sports halls of fame. From 1976 to 1993, he was ranked in the Top 10 of senior tennis players in the state of Florida. The tennis facilities at Seminole High School, Dr. John M. Morgan Tennis Center, are named for him.